Really. Dog names. The news today included a report on what names are popular with baby boomers when it comes to naming their pets. Seriously. It was in the news.
The report noted that Millennials were keen to give their pets human names such as Luna or Max. Sure enough, if you do a search for the current popular dog names of 2022, they skew towards actual people names. Luna was number one, followed by Bella, Charlie, Max, Daisy, Lucy, Cooper, Bailey, Milo, Coco, Lily, Zoe, Lola, Buddy, Sadie, Stella, Bear, Rocky, Molly, Teddy, Maggie, Penny, Duke and Leo.
Boomers, on the other hand, relied on popular culture sources such as comics, film and music.
The source of this startling news? Dog name trend reports (whatever those are) and anecdotal evidence. And there it is. The old anecdotal evidence trope. You might as well say you’re making this crap up, but okay, let’s have it. It’s a slow news day.
- Snoopy – Really. The cartoon dog has a special place in boomers’ hearts (according to anecdotes).
- Maggie – They give the Rod Stewart song credit for this one.
- Dolly – Dolly Pawton. Need we say more.
- Charlie – Because JFK had a terrier by that name.
- Lassie – Timmy fell in the well and well, what else do you need to know?
- Toto – Yellow brick road says it all.
- Buddy – Because he/she truly is your best friend.
- Major – Presidents Biden and Franklin D. Roosevelt had German Shepherds with this name.
- Benji – The movie scores again.
- Bear – Because your dog looks like a bear?
- Chewy – Either the Star Wars influence or the dog is really mouthy.
- Lady – Go back to 1955 for the Disney movie influence or just blame it on the Tramp.
- Cujo – Who turns to Stephen King for dog name inspiration?
- Fido – Sheesh! Does any self-respecting boomer call their dog Fido? According to anecdotal evidence, yes!
I hope this information has been useful to you, or at least entertaining. I know that I feel better informed now. At least anecdotally.
Jay Harrison is a writer and creative consultant for DesignConcept. You can also visit his author page here. His newest mystery novel, Rio Puerco Demise is available on Amazon. His first mystery novel, Head Above Water, is also available on Amazon. But that’s not all. You can also purchase the Best of BoomSpeak on Amazon.